Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shennaningans

I was at the local office supply super store purchasing a few choosy items for my classroom. Ordinarily, no one bothers me when I go in and I have to say, I really appreciate that. This was not the case on my most recent visit however. Within 30 seconds of entering the store, a small child grabs my elbow. When I turn around, he is holding a tissue paper flower with a pipe cleaner stem. He asks me if I want to buy the flower from him for a dollar. So he can buy his mother a birthday present. I tell him no thank you and send him on his way.

Not more than a minute later these three kids, who look identical to the child I just spoke to approach me. They are carrying a large container of the same tissue paper and pipe cleaner flowers. They ask me to buy a flower so that they can have some money for school supplies. I point out that their brother just asked me for money to buy a birthday present. The kids deny relationship to the first child, but then add that they bought their mom a present last month. Uh-huh. Sounds suspicious to me. I ask the children what kinds of school supplies they need. They start naming off their list : Digital cameras, post it notes ( we were standing in front of a display featuring many different shapes and colors), Mp3 players... their list went on with seeming NONessential school items. I told them I wasn't able to help. I hoped they would leave me alone and I could get the things I needed and leave.

The kids approach me again after a few minutes to ask if perhaps I have changed my mind. No i have not. No, I most likely will not. I am at this fine establishment buying school supplies for my classroom. Not for me. Not for my personal use, but for the use by and education of my students. In someways, I feel like buying things for my classroom and my students is a donation of and in itself. I am not trying to sound selfish at all. Its just that so much of my daily success at work is dependent on purchasing materials I think schools ought to provide. (Basic markers, for example). I know also that there are many people less fortunate than I am. I feel that donating to charity with time or money is a civic responsibility. However, these kids seemed as if they were running a scam. Especially since they asked an older woman for money and had yet a third story for her. They asked her for money for their grandmother's surgery. Uh-huh

No comments: