Thursday, December 18, 2008

Random notes and the evil Jingle Bells

The classroom smells delicious, thanks to using Gingerbread playdough all week. I think I may use the snow day tomorrow to make my house smell as just as delicious. Except instead of playdough, I may make actual cookie dough but I need a good vegan soy- free recipe. So if you have one, please leave a comment. If Mr K1 teacher's class is also canceled tomorrow night, then we will decorate these little bits of yumminess.

One of the parents in the classroom does not celebrate Christmas. That's fine and doesn't bother me. We have talked about some of the holidays celebrated during December but most of our discussion around the holidays has been initiated by the other students in the class. The mother came to me all frazzled becasue she was watching TV with her child and he heard "jingle Bells". He told her he learned it at school Yes, the kids have been singing it to each other and no, I havent asked them to stop because it is rather joyous. Ok so I talk to her and explain this to her she seems ok, but still a little perterbed.

Later that same day her sun is using some of the yummy-smelling gingerbread playdough during center time. He has made several gingerbread cut-outs and then beigns using the letter shaped playdough cutters. He arranges three certain letters and then proceeds to name the letters and say the word that those letters make. On one hand, he correctly identified the letters and knew the word. On the other hand, HOW DOES HE KNOW THAT? He is four years old and can barely manage to write his name independently and follow well-established classroom routines! That is certainly not in our curriculum nor have any of the other students started discussing it.

Sometimes, I have to just scratch my head in wonder and amazement.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

I recommend allrecipes.com where you can search by ingredients you want and don't want.

i found a few recipes. Some of them have egg or butter, but I know you know how to substitute.

Nice Spice Cookies: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Nice-Spice-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Blueberry Gingerbread: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Blueberry-Gingerbread/Detail.aspx

I may have hit the jackpot!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gingerbread-Cookies-II/Detail.aspx

Hope this helps and happy baking!