Sunday, February 8, 2009

Applause, please?

A few weeks ago when my the author of the Brainy and Beautiful Blog nominated me for the superior scribbler award, she commented that teachers need more recognition. Here is a link to her post about it. While I was honored to receive the award, it was her comment that got the wheels in my head spinning. Many teachers work extremely hard each day. But do we, as a profession need extra recognition for the work that we do?

Other people in other professions must work hard too. Whether they find their work harder or easier than teaching I couldn't say. I for one have never had another profession and many people who work in other fields have not taught.

I didn't go into teaching to be recognized. I went into teaching to make a difference in the lives of children. I went into teaching to make their lives better. Would a little positive recognition every once in a while from a certain headmaster hurt? Well, no probably not. A few teachers in my building joke around with me and with each other about being nominated for teacher of the year. We usually make this joke when someone is being particularly hard on themselves. It cracks a few smiles usually and even a few chuckles. The best "recognition" to speak of though comes when you least expect it. When a parent takes the time to write you a thank you note, thanking you for all of the work you have done with their child. When a student that was in your class several years ago comes back to visit. Simply seeing the students' faces light up when I talk to them. It really is the smallest things that matter the most.

The drive to teach is not about the desire to be decorated in awards and recognitions of various forms. It is the passion, the motivation to impact and educate a student, one single student.

3 comments:

TeachEnEspanol said...

I love this post. You are right, it is not for the recognition that we do the job, but sometimes it can be the recognition that keeps us going (regardless of where it comes from). Congrats on the nomination and on knowing what is really important. :)

Anonymous said...

Am I missing something? Did you get nominated for teacher of the year? If so, congratulations!! If not, sorry for misunderstanding :)
Steve and I bought the "Eat this, not that" books today. We got the supermarket and dining out ones. I think they will come in VERY handy! I am up to 2.82 miles now by the way. I find that by breaking up the workout into 5 minute intervals that I repeat, it helps me. You should try it! I do 2 minutes at 5.3, 1 minute at 5.7, 1 minute at 6.5 and then 1 minute at 4.2. Then I repeat it 5 more times with a 2 minute 4.2 cool down. Let me know if you try it! Love ya doll!

tgm said...

Beth, No I didnt get nominated. The teacher of the year thing is a joke between some of us here at school. For example: Teacher 1: Oh man I am running late, I have so much to do..." Teacher 2: " Well come on, how are you going to be teacher of the year?" It is a joke thats all. And no need to be sorry, I dont need an award anyways:) Also thanks for the work out tips, and my goodness you are moving faster on the treadmill than I am. I was sick with a cold for a few days, so I missed some precious gym time, but I am going today:)