Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Invaders!
Invaders! So consider this advanced warning: this particular post is more rant than insightful words of wisdom. By the time my lunch period rolls around at 1110, I am wiped. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. I am ready and in need of a few minutes of down time. My students eat in my classroom so I am forced to either eat with them, leave the building, or retreat to the teacher's room on the second floor. Because eating with my students is not usually a reprieve at all, and because leaving the building generally causes me to spend unnecessary money, I usually go to the teachers room in search of sanctuary and a clean quiet place to eat with people I want to talk to. So given the importance and the need for me to have a quiet space in the middle of my day, I am genuinely annoyed when this space is taken over by invaders. These invaders are generally trying to sell me some useless product that I don't need. Even though I know I shouldn't' I respond hostilely towards these people.

Like the guy who wanted me to spend $30.00 a month for critical illness insurance. Hello. I can only get the money if I have a stroke, cancer or heart attack. And I survive for six months after the diagnosis. It works out to be a big ripoff. I mean it is 360 dollars per year. Do you realize what I could do with that money? Additionally, this company apparently did their market research as the vendor here was young attractive male eye candy. The perfect thing to send to an elementary school

Well, apparently, I could earn an online PhD or EdD degree and not be required to do any doctoral dissertation. At least so says the vendor from some online institution, the second of the recent invaders. The conversation went like this:
Her: So you need to earn your masters degree?
Me: No. Why do you assume that?
Her: well you are young and I thought that... well anyway have you considered pursuing your PhD or EdD
Me: Yes
Her: Well Jo-shmo online U is the place for you.
Me: No thank you, I am not interested
Her: I brought you desert.
Me: Well thanks, but I am still not interestedI then proceed to listen to her give a similar spiel to each of my four colleagues who walked through the door after me. And if that wasn't enough she felt that it was her duty to interrupt our conversations with little tidbits about how all our lives will be better if we all had PhDs. Hahah

Well little ms Mary kay lady, the third invader in less than two weeks time, seems to honestly believe that I only really need a tube of 30 dollar lipstick to make my life better. She basically told me that if I dont wear make up daily I am going to be in serious trouble with my skin in a few years from now. Hmm maybe that life insurance sounds better after all. ANyway and then there is the whole sanitary issue of doing facials in a room where other people are trying to eat.

Most of the invaders have retreated this week but I expect to see more of them in the weeks approaching Christmas

1 comment:

Greg said...

I would have told the Mary Kay lady "I am pursuing an online PhD program, and don't need to show my face to anyone. Therefore, I don't need any make up, thank you very much."