Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"because you work with children"

"because you work with your children" is no longer an adequate response to my question of the winter, "Why am I sick so much?" This is my fourth year teaching, I am supposed to have built up some immunity by this point in the game. Honestly, I have been sick every two or three weeks since thanksgiving. it is now nearly the end of february. My pcp has told me that she sees mumerous teachers from my district and that it is a combination of poor air quality in the old buildings of my district and being with sick kids all the time. Possible but tose factors are not in my control so what are some possible other theories? Here is a partial listPoor diet (according to my mom, I should eat meat, and lots of it)http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/10209.htmMy dr says that my diet is probably fine though but my husband recently gave up a similar diet in hopes finding something healthier that works for him.

Poor air quality in my school building ( this idea is from my dr)http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/schools/teachers.htmthis article is funny and suggests that teachers should avoid " Keep your classroom free of dust accumulating materials, such as fabrics and stacks of papers.Minimize clutter". It also suggest students not eat in the classrooms which is not an option

too many germs in the environment? Is that really the sole explanation? If so, would a mandatory flu shot for all students really eliminate sicknesses in the classroom? How about an air purifier that is effective for viruses and germs as well as allergens? Such an investment will set me back between 250 and 400 dollars...

trying to be healthy

No comments: