Monday, June 23, 2008

End of the year

Tomorrow there is no breakfast or lunch at school, yet some people will still send there children to school without anything to eat all day. First of all, as a parent, if i absolutely had to send my kids to school under these circumstances, I would make sure that I sent them in with something wholesome and nutritious. Unfortuantely I know some parents will not provide for their children in this basic way.

Secondly, I dont understand why the schools are not providing breakfast and lunch when they did today. Today was also a half day. All year long we hear about how we need to do a universal breakfast program because we serve children of poverty and they may not eat otherwise. Well are they suddenly not children of poverty because tomorrow is the last day of school?

As their teacher with this information, I feel conflicted. On the one hand, I know that if they don't have anything to eat until 1pm tomorrow then they will be cranky miserable hungry children. I know I can't go all day without eating so why should they have to? On the other hand, I don't necessarily think it is my responsibility to feed them. What is a teacher to do? Feed them makes sense but it somehow doesn't seem fair that I should have to spend my hard earned money to feed them ( and provide for a basic need ) when I really think it is the primary responsibility of their parents or the public institution (school)

Upcoming posts include thoughts about the end of year cleaning, the last staff meeting of the year and a final farewell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would like to inform that there are other organizations also which are doing great to help the needy. United Nations is one such organization which has initiated a campaign to End Poverty by 2015. The campaign revolves around 8 major goals which, if accomplished, would ensure eradication of poverty. By the way, the campaign also has a community http://www.orkut.co.in/Community.aspx?cmm=47234928 .

tgm said...

Ayesha, Thanks for the comment. I am aware of many organizations that are trying to help the needy. I think that it will take the work of local, state, national and international agencies to end poverty and address all of the challenges that people in poverty face. Thank you for the post