Thursday, June 19, 2008

Just another day in June

The kids did a wonderful job at their concert/ end of year celebration. Way to go K1 class!

The end of the year is on one side logical and on the other very emotional.

I logically know that I have to pack up my entire classroom ( even though it feels like i just unpacked everything) so I can stay in the same room and unpack it in September. I know I need to finish up their student narratives and sign off on the cumulative records. I know I need to package up each student's work sampling folder. I can move myself through all of those motions easily enough.

Then there is the emotional piece. Teaching young children in an inner city school makes me feel like I am sometimes so much more than just their teacher. I feel like a mother, a nurse, a psychologist, a coach, a friend, a role model, counselor, and so many other job titles on any given day. I have seen them grow so much, which is a good thing. All of them have been with me for 180 days or so and some have been with me for 360 days because I had them last year too. I know that the profession comes with these send offs. I know the kids who are moving on are ready, but I will miss some of them. I worry about them as they go. Where will they go? Will the other teacher be able to reach them? DO they have the necessary skills to be successful in their new environment?

Adding to all of this buisness is the tidbit that we had no drinking water in our building today. We literally had none because all of the water coolers were empty and we don't have any bubbala's in our building and the kids are not allowed to drink the tap water. If I were a parent and my child said that he couldnt get a drink of water at school today because the school ran out, I would be pretty upset.

2 comments:

Dorit Sasson said...

Hi,
I found your blog through cal teacher. What a heart warming post. It's so good to hear that teachers are making a difference in young childrens' lives.

Enjoy your summer vacation.

-Dorit
http://newteacherresourcecenter.blogspot.com
http://newteachersupport.suite101.com
"Learn the secrets of new teacher support, like I do."

tgm said...

Dorit, Thank you for the comment. I do my best to give the kids everything. High quality instruction, countless learning experiences and high expectations...