Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wrapping up the school year and wondering

These hot days seem to drag on. Some of the kids, like some of the adults, respond better to the heat than others. Some of the kids seem to become even more energized, while others appear lethargic and cranky.



Yesterday it topped 100 degrees here. One of the parents sent her child to school with long black corduroy pants on. She said " Iput him in pants today because I did not want him to get a skinned knee". I have not read of any child who has ever died of a skinned knee. In fact, I think it is sort of a trademark of childhood, especially the childhood of an active healthy child. Black corduroy pants when it is a hundred degrees is ridiculous.

Someone told me that I should type up a fake letter and tell the familis that this coming friday is our last day. It is completely unethical and I wouldnt do it. But it does sound tempting. This person I was speaking to suggested that no learning was happening anyway, so what was the point. I like to think that we are still learning. Today we are getting ready to compare to similiar stories using a Venn diagram, which is something they haven't seen yet. But I do wonder, if I am as tired as I am, the kids also must be tired.

Also some of the kids' stories break my heart. They come to school so needy. Even on a bad day, school may still be the best thing they have going on in their lives. Even when I've lost my patience and raise my voice too much, for a few of them, that is still better than home. Some of them need to be loved and cared for in such a profund way, it exceedes what I am able to do in the classroom. Then their lives are really complic ated and somehow or another I try to get them to learn, to make progress and not only reach the state standards but to go beyond. And somehow I am left wondering if that is enough. If they can come to school to learn when they are coming in the door with so much.

Looking forward to staff end of year party tomorrow.
Tanya

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tanya, you are probably one of the best, if not the best teacher out there. You have the most compassion for your students. It is easy to teach in Cumberland where the majority of the population doesnt have the same "baggage" but to teach where "baggage" is not an option takes a special teacher. You are wonderful. Love you!

tgm said...

Yes some days I think " yes I am challenging these kids and doing a fair job..." other days I think "What am I doing?"