Thursday, October 23, 2008

building changes

October and the coming months will bring several changes to our building in terms of staff. First and foremost the beloved secretary, Mrs B, left our building for a position else where in the city. She gave seemingly short notice to all of us teachers. That's OK, it is her business. Each of us needs to act, at times, in our own best interest. It is odd not hear her voice in the morning, telling all of us that "it is a lovely day out". When I walk by the office now on my way to the copier, I don't smell the all natural air freshener or hear her humming quietly while she works. The students and other staff miss her too. I know that she is much happier in her new position than she was in the old one at our building and so I wish her well.

A 5th grade teacher in our building will be leaving to begin her retirement this coming Friday. Hooray for making it to the end of one's career. Maybe it is just the end of her teaching career and she is on to other careers. Maybe she is truly going to retire. She is a wonderful teacher who has been very kind to me since I started in the building. Her students will miss her teaching and the building will miss her kindness.

Another teacher will be going out on paternity leave in mid-November and will not be back until after the new year. Hooray for welcoming a new life into this world. This is his third child and he and his wife are expecting a boy.

Finally, one primary grade teacher may be be retiring in December. The details here are still fuzzy though so I will elaborate more when I am sure of the facts.

So this raises the question in my mind about what will be done about these openings. I know I am not an administrator and it is not technically my responsibility to worry about how these vacancies will be filled, but it could impact the climate of the building, which will effect me. If it were up to me, I would give the soon to be 5th grade opening to Mr. Y., who was a long term sub last year in the building. Several teachers thought at the end of last year that Mr Y should have been offered a position for the current school year. Mr. Y worked many of the kids in our building last year as a music sub, a long term 5th grade sub, a science sub and finally a 5th grade sub again. He raised the bar and stepped up to all of the occasions that were thrown at him. His work deserves recognition and he deserves a permanent position in our building.

The secretary position has already been filled, however the new hire is unable to work during all of the school hours.

In terms of the paternity leave, I think it would be reasonable to hire a long term sub for that opening as it will have a shorter duration than the other two positions. Finally, I wonder if the principal is aware that one of the teachers plans to retire in December. If he is aware, he should start looking for qualified candidates now and really should plan on hiring a teacher and not sub.

No comments: