Monday, October 13, 2008

Thanks Mom

My mom did not send me to preschool. I went to kindergarten at age 5, I went to kindergarten with knowledge of specific things. For example, I knew what my name looked like in print. I knew that used tissues did not go back in the box they came from. I knew that when I washed my hands, the soap was not for eating. I knew that when it came time to sit at the table, I was expected to eat my food with an appropriate utensil. I knew that licking my food out of the carton it came in was not appropriate. I knew to use please and thank you when I asked for something. If I forgot to use those words and an adult gently reminded me to do so, I didn't scowl at them.

Its not that my kids have come in this year not knowing a thing, it's just that they are coming into school knowing very different things then I went to school knowing. Its a different time, different families are raising their children differently than I was raised. That is OK. But the question is then what is considered basic information and what is considered cultural differences? Are there skills that are considered basic throughout many different cultures? If so, what are they? Is it a question about skills or expectations? Who is responsible for teaching appropriate manners and behavior in public settings? Who is responsible for the more academic skills like name, numeral, and shape recognition?

I know I try to tell the kids that "in our classroom we do X...". In saying this, I am hoping not to negate any specific things their parents may have told them at home. I don't want to create a contrast and conflict for them between school and home, but on the other hand, there are certain ways of behaving that are not acceptable for a group setting, or that make it more challenging to be part of a group. I think that it is part of the teachers job to explain to children how to function in the world, how to function as a member of a community. Especially as an early childhood educator, I think that I am forever balancing teaching appropriate social skills with teaching academic skills. It is my hope that the social skills and manners taught and practiced in my classroom will serve the children in many settings beyond the classroom walls, but whose to say that I am not just imposing my cultural views on my students?

No comments: