Thursday, January 22, 2009

It wasn't that bad

This morning I was up before the alarm and my brain was in high gear. As is typical for me, I was over thinking and over worrying. What if this... did I do....how about if I....maybe I should.... None of these thoughts were in my control, especially not at 5am. When I finally got t school, I made self stop and look at my room from an outsiders point of view. I sat down and tried to take a few breaths. I then made a list of ten things that "needed" to be done and proceeded to freak out because I did not have time to accomplish all of them. I narrowed it down to three things that I knew I could do well before school started.

My principal came down about 30 minutes after Mr. Director was supposed to arrive to inform me that he hadn't seen Mr. Director. Minus points for him in my book. I strongly value punctuality. I did hear someone speak in September who made me think about that a little, but still. In a school setting we encourage the parents to bring the kids to school on time. As teachers many of us arrive earlier than we need to do. A person with such a serious title and responsibility as Mr. Director should be setting an example to himself. But it was center time, my children were in various locations around the room, all of them seeming to need or want my attention or assistance, so I did not dwell too much on the topic of the lateness. Thanks to the wonderful children for just being themselves.

A short while later, Mr. Director arrived. Since it was still center time, I was slightly distracted when he entered the room. When I had finished my conversation with the child I was working with, I went over and introduced myself. I noticed and was impressed by the fact that he was NOT wearing a suit. A suit is not the right attire for an early childhood classroom. We chatted briefly about the demographics of the classroom. He walked around and jotted little notes. He chatted with some of my students about what they were working on. He and I talked again and he asked me how I felt about the curriculum and how I thought it worked in a multi-aged setting. He asked me what I needed from the early childhood department and if there was anything I wanted to tell him specifically.

What an opportunity! I had a chance to speak to the director of early childhood for the entire district and he was asking me some very interesting questions. I gave the best answers I could in between adding more paint to the easel area, adding more paper for birthday card making at the art area, and helping children at the water table melt ice by spray warm water on it. The kids obviously need to come first, but I just wish I had been clearer and more precise when I did talk to him. It is so hard to have serious, in depth conversation with adults while trying to support my students and their learning. Ms. S, aka super para, suggested I email him to reiterate my main points. What a fantastic idea. During my lunch period I jotted down what I had wanted to say to him and then typed an email to him during my prep period.

I thanked him for visiting and explained what I didn't think I was clear on. He actually wrote me back and thanked me for letting him observe. He said that he wants to support me and the critical work that I am doing. He also asked if I was certified in early childhood education and where I went to school because he noticed that a lot of "things in the classroom looked right".

All in all, I would say that it was a successful visit and follow-up email. Thanks to Christine J and Beth for the comments with words of encouragement and support. Thanks to Ms. S for putting up with me day in and day out through all the silliness and burst of energy and for reassuring me this morning that I had nothing to be nervous about.

No comments: