Friday, January 23, 2009

Mr. President

My students and, I suspect, their families, are very excited about Mr. Obama's inauguration. Many teachers in my building used personal time to travel down to DC to be there. One of my students stayed at home with her family to watch history being made. At three, four, and five, they certainly don't know that history is in fact being made. They do know that a lot of people are excited and they are too. They do know that Obama was on television and many of them appeared to have seen the Obamas' first presidential dance.

On Wednesday, I brought in several newspapers. All of the students wanted their own newspaper and they worked hard to share the ones I had. They spent much of the morning looking through the newspapers and trying to find all of the pictures they could of Obama. They tried to compare the pictures in the different newspapers to see if any of them were the same.

Without further ado, here is a smattering of their thoughts and questions:
N: Barack Obama is our president now. That is cool!
S: I saw Obama dance with his wife. That was beautiful
I: Mrs K1 teacher, do you have lunch with Rock Obama? Does he go to your house
D: He is the first brown person to be president
S: Yeah, he is also a dad. He plays with the kids too.
E: Will he ever come to our school? I want to meet him.
I: He is gonna fix things
L: IS Barack Obama still the president?

They had so many other things to say as well, but that is what sticks out in mind the most right now. They are quite fascinated with him and he is a wonderful role model for them. During freeze dancing and musical chairs this week, they started chanting "O- BA - MA. O-Ba-MA, O-BA-MA!" ( Hooray for being able to break a part words into syllables)

No comments: